TikTok is a short-form video-sharing app that has quickly grown in popularity among a wide range of age groups and demographics. The app, which was launched in 2016, has become one of the most popular social media platforms in the world, with over a billion active users.
As of Q3 2022, TikTok generated an estimated revenue of $1.56 billion. Data shows that the app’s iOS version is particularly popular, with 30.8 million daily active users in December 2021. While the Android version also performs well, it has a lower number of daily active users, at 14.43 million.
But who exactly is the target market for TikTok?
- Younger audiences: TikTok has become extremely popular among younger age groups, with a significant portion of its active user base being made up of individuals aged 10-19. In the United States, this age group accounts for 25% of TikTok’s users. Additionally, the platform has a strong following among users aged 20-29, accounting for 22.4% of users, followed by those aged 30-39 at 21.7%, those aged 40-49 at 20.3%, and those aged 50 and above at 11%. This trend is similar in the UK, where 24% of internet users aged 15-25 are reported to be using the platform for creating and consuming video as of 2020.
- Influencers and creators: TikTok has become a popular platform for influencers and creators to showcase their talents and engage with their audience. Many users, particularly younger users, turn to TikTok for entertainment and inspiration from their favorite creators.
- Global market: TikTok may have a global reach, but the majority of its users are located in China. Specifically, it has 600 million daily active users in China. The app is also widely used in the United States, India, Turkey, Russia, and Brazil.
- Musicians and artists: TikTok has become a powerful tool for musicians and artists to promote their music and connect with their fans. The app’s music features and lip-syncing capabilities make it an ideal platform for musicians to share their work and grow their fanbase.
- Brands and businesses: According to data gathered and analyzed from Nielsen Media Research and Influencermarketinghub, there are around 225,000 business brands on TikTok. This number is rapidly increasing as more and more companies recognize the value of reaching out to the younger, highly engaged audience that the platform attracts. TikTok offers a unique opportunity for businesses to connect with potential customers in a casual and enjoyable way, unlike any other platform before it. The app’s unique features, such as the use of hashtags, challenges, and branded filters, make it an effective marketing tool.
In conclusion, TikTok’s target market is diverse and includes a wide range of age groups and demographics. The app has become particularly popular among younger audiences, influencers and creators, musicians and artists, and brands and businesses. Its global reach and unique features make it a powerful tool for connecting with a wide range of audiences.